Thursday, September 10, 2015

Assignment 1

a.Where have you personally seen GIS being used?

I have personally seen GIS being used on weather channels to better portray what the reporters are saying, in malls to inform shoppers of where different buildings are located and during elections when they are counting ballots.

b. How could you see yourself using GIS in the future(what field)?

At this point, i am not exactly sure which career path i am going to take so i cannot say for sure in what field i am going to use GIS. Though i am not sure about my future career path, i have recently found myself interested in the idea of becoming a geoscientist in which i know that a knowledge of GIS would be useful. I am also an economics major so if i end up changing my mind about becoming a geoscientist i will most likely pursue a career in which both geography and economics are involved and i can use GIS.

3 comments:

  1. Kelli,
    Great input!
    It can be difficult deciding on a career path. I didn't know I wanted to study GIS until I had already finished two years of college! Both of your career interests could heavily use GIS. Did you know that there actually is a sub-field of geography called "economic geography"? Here is a link on economic geography if you want to read more about it :)
    http://geography.about.com/od/economic-geography/a/Economic-Geography.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assignment 1

    1. Wherr have you personally seen GIS being used?

    I have personally seen GIS at shopping malls to assist customers in finding what they want, from news reports on televisons or across the web to give viewers a better understanding of the information that is being shared and also at the airport when travelling in order to have a better sense of direction; prevent someone from getting lost.

    2. How could you see yourself using GIS in the future (what field)?

    I've learnt that GIS is a very powerful decision-making tool that has a great variety of applications. Therefore, I would not be able to decide in what field I would see myself in the future. However, i have always taken interest in creating my own designs in a business point of view such as media and entertainment. I also major in Entrepreneurship which i believe can also help me in pursuing my interest in the sense of management or developing my own business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garbrielle,
    I'm glad you were able to access the blog! It looks like you understood this assignment well, and you can certainly use GIS an an entrepreneur. A lot of GIS analysts do freelance work which may be something you would enjoy doing

    ReplyDelete